- Venugopalan, S.* and Rai. V. "Topic Based Classification and Pattern Identification in Patents," forthcoming in Technological Forecasting & Social Change.
- Rai, V., Schultz, K.*, and Funkhouser, E.* "International Low Carbon Technology Transfer: Do Intellectual Property Regimes Matter?" Global Environmental Change, 24, 60-74, 2014. Download from ScienceDirect
- Heguy, D. and Rai, V. "Technology Development and Learning: Coal Gasification in China and the United States," The Electricity Journal, 27(6), 69-85, 2014. Download from ScienceDirect
- Noll, D.*, Dawes, C.*, and Rai, V. "Solar Community Organizations and Active Peer Effects in the Adoption of Residential Solar PV," Energy Policy, 67, 330-343, 2014. Download from ScienceDirect
- Blackburn, G.*, Magee, C.*, and Rai, V. "Solar Valuation and the Modern Utility's Expansion into Distributed Generation," The Electricity Journal, 26(11), 1040-6190, 2014. Download from ScienceDirect
- Rai, V. "Expert Elicitation Methods for Studying Technological Change Under Uncertainty," Environmental Research Letters, 8(4), 041003, 2013. Download from ERL
- Rai, V. and Robinson, S. A.* "Effective Information Channels for Reducing Costs of Environmentally-Friendly Technologies: Evidence from Residential PV Markets," Environmental Research Letters 8(1), 014044, 2013. Download from ERL
- Rai, V. and Sigrin, B.* "Diffusion of Environmentally-friendly Energy Technologies: Buy vs. Lease Differences in Residential PV Markets," Environmental Research Letters , 8(1), 014022, 2013. Download from ERL
- Rai, V. "Fading Star: Explaining the Evolution of India's ONGC," in Oil and Governance: State-Owned Enterprises and the World Energy Supply, Cambridge University Press, Jan 2012.
- Rai, V. and Victor, D. G. "Awakening Giant: Strategy and Performance of the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC)," in Oil and Governance: State-Owned Enterprises and the World Energy Supply, Cambridge University Press, Jan 2012.
- Rai, V., Victor, D. G., and Thurber, M. C. "Carbon Capture and Storage at Scale: Lessons from the Growth of Analogous Energy Technologies," Energy Policy, 38:4089-4098, 2010. Download from ScienceDirect
- Bistline, J. E. and Rai, V. "The Role of Carbon Capture and Storage in Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction Models: A Parametric Study for the U.S. Power Sector," Energy Policy, 38(2):1177-1191, 2010. Download from ScienceDirect
- Rai, V. and Victor, D. G. "Climate Change and the Energy Challenge: A Pragmatic Approach for India," Economic and Political Weekly, 44(31):78-85, 2009. Download from CASI@UPenn
- Rai, V., Aryanpour, M., and Pitsch, H. "First-Principles Analysis of Oxygen-Containing Adsorbates Formed from the Electrochemical Discharge of Water on Pt(111), Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 112(26):9760-9768, 2008. Download from ACS
- Rai, V., Pitsch, H., and Novikov, A. "Effcient Dynamic Monte Carlo Algorithm for Time- Dependent Catalytic Chemistry," Physical Review E, 74:046707, 2006. Download from APS
- Aryanpour, M., Rai, V., and Pitsch, H. "Convergent Iterative Constrained Variation Algorithm for Calculation of Electron-Transfer Transition States," Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 153(3):E52, 2006. Download from ECS
- Rai, R., Rai, V., Tiwari, M. K., and Allada, V. "Disassembly Sequence Generation: A Petri Net Based Heuristic Approach," International Journal of Production Research, 40(13), 2002. Download from IJPR/TandFOnline
PAPERS UNDER REVIEW (Drafts available upon request: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dong, C.*, Wiser, R., and Rai. V. "Incentive Pass-through for Residential Solar Systems in California." (Download LBNL report version)
- Robinson, S.A.* and Rai, V. "Determinants of Spatio-Temporal Patterns of Energy Technology Adoption: An Agent-Based Modeling Approach." (Preprint PDF)
- Rai, V. and Robinson, S.A.* "Agent-Based Modeling of Energy Technology Adoption: Empirical Integration of Social, Behavioral, Economic, and Environmental Factors." (Preprint PDF)
- Rai, V. and Funkhouser, E.* "Emerging Insights on the Dynamic Drivers of International Low-Carbon Technology Transfer."
- Dong, C.* and Rai, V. "Optimal Subsidy Design with Stochastic Learning: A Dynamic Programming Evaluation of The California Solar Initiative."
WORKING PAPERS (Drafts available upon request: email@example.com)
- Funkhouser, E.*, Rai, V., Blackburn, G.*, and Magee, C.* "Commercial Innovations in Community-scale Distributed Generation."
- Beltran, M.* and Rai, V. "Electricity Consumption Patterns in Low-Income Households."
- Robinson, S.A.* and Rai, V. "Diffusion of Alternative Energy Technologies: Effective Agent-Based Modeling Approaches and Applications."
- Rai, V., Maureen, M.*, Dong, C.G.*, and Querejazu, D.* "Demand Pull and Innovation in the U.S. Solar Market."
- Rai, V., Nath, V.*, Treadwell, T., and Langheim, R. "Drivers of Plug-in Electric Vehicle Adoption in California: An Analysis of Individual Decision-Making, Information Channels, and Socio-Demographic Factors."
OTHER WORK IN PROGRESS
- Sustainable Models for Funding Cleantech Innovations: Are We There Yet? (with Funkhouser, E.* and Udwin, T.*)
- Consumer Perceptions of Energy Efficiency and Solar Investments in Texas (with Beck, A.)
- Drivers of Clustering in the Diffusion of Energy Innovations (with Sebastian, S.* and Maiyya, S*).
- Demand Pull Policies and the Geography of Innovation: Evidence from Germany, Japan, and the U.S.
- Market Structure and Incentive Pass-through: A Regression Discontinuity Design Approach (with Dong, C.* and Wiser, R.)
- Decision-making and Information Channels in the Adoption of Solar Systems (with Reeves, D.C.* and Margolis, R.).
OTHER ARTICLES, OP-EDs, ESSAYS, AND REPRINTS
- Rai, V. "Energy Innovation: Tortuous But Sure Path To A Successful Future," The Alcalde, November 2012.
- Rai, V. "Under the Roof: A New UT Study Reveals How Households Decide to Install PV," Solar Power World, July 2012.
- Rai, V. "India's Energy Policy: Truths and Myths," Modern Energy Review, 2(2):13-15, 2010.
- Rai, V. "Climate Change Mitigation in India," Seminar Journal, 606:35-40, 2010.
- Morse, R., Rai, V., and He, G. "Digging in Deep," BusinessForum China, 30-32, 2010.
- Rai, V. and Victor, D. G. "Identifying Viable Options in Developing Countries for Climate Change Mitigation: The Case of India," International Association for Energy Economics (IAEE) Energy Forum, First Quarter:9-13, 2010.
- Rai, V. "Promoting Clean Development Competing Market Mechanisms Post-2012," Harvard International Review, 31(3):70-75, 2009.
- Vishwanathan, V., Rai, V. and Pitsch, H. "First-principles-based Reaction-Kinetics Model for Oxygen Reduction Reaction on Pt3Ni(111)," Electrochemical Society (ECS) Transactions, 25(1):1353-1361, 2009.
- Victor, D. G. and Rai, V. "Dirty Coal is Winning," Newsweek International, 2009.
- Rai, V. "Changing Face of Indian Energy System: A March towards Normalcy," India in Transition, University of Pennsylvania, 2008.
- Rai, V., Aryanpour, M., Dhanda, A., Walch, S. and Pitsch, H. "PEMFC Electrochemistry: Simulation of Non-equilibrium Surface Chemistry on 3-Dimensional Geometries," Proceedings of the Joint International Meeting of the Electrochemical Society, 2005-11: 264, 2005.